Monday, March 11, 2013

The Benefits of Daylight Savings

Ummmm.


Uh.


Hmmmmmm.


1. People who barbecue late in the evening don't have to turn on the porch light. (On the other hand, their children have to wait longer to play hide-and-seek in the dark.)

2. I check the batteries in the clocks when I change the time. (On the other hand, I have to change the clocks.)

3. I know there's gotta be more . . .

I saw a funny on Facebook yesterday. It said:

When told the reason for daylight savings time, the Old Indian said, "Only the government would believe that you could cut a foot off the top of a blanket, sew it to the bottom, and have a longer blanket".

Now, I know that Daylight Savings Time was adopted in the World War I to conserve electricity in the evenings, and implemented again in the '60s or '70s because of the "energy crisis". So maybe it had some benefit then.  And I must admit that I like this time of year better, you know, with the longer days. But summer was already on its way with more daylight hours anyway.

Maybe we could switch and Daylight Savings could be Standard Time. All the time. Or add an hour of sunlight in the winter. Now THAT would be a neat governmental trick!

(Edited: 11:47 a.m. PDST   Reason: Internal conversation continued)

1 comment:

  1. I just read an article that said that DST may cost our economy $434 million. The day after this lost hour of sleep the number of heart attacks increase, driving accidents and other fatigue related incidents. This is done to save energy, correct? Well the last study done (2007) showed that DST saved 17 trillion BTU. WOW that's a lot right? Except that it was only .02 percent of our countries total use.

    I do not know what is the monetary equivalent of 17 trillion BTU. I do know that an economic hit (not to mention health related) of $434 million does not seem to equal .02% of total energy usage in savings.

    ReplyDelete