Thursday, March 7, 2013

Asian Chicken Spaghetti

While growing up I learned how to cook for five. It's hard paring it down to two. Another thing that's hard is keeping our recipe repertoire fresh. I get tired of the same old.

I had thawed two pounds of boneless chicken thighs and was casting around for how to fix them up when I thought about stir-fry. Nah. I wanted something carbo-ey-er. Stir-fry with rice? Meh. I decided to think about it as I went.

I got out my big pot (viva la big pots!) and cut up the chicken into bite-sized pieces. I added 1/2 cup teriaki sauce, 1/2 cup brown sugar and two tablespoons apple cider vinegar. Then I tossed in 1 tbsp dried ground ginger and 1 tbsp dried ground garlic. I put the lid on and let that cook on low for about 1/2 hour.

I chopped up two big carrots, an onion, 1/4 head cabbage and a head of broccoli - stalk and all - and added those to the pot. I put the lid back on and let those cook about another 20 minutes.

What to do for carbs? Don't want rice. Don't have asian noodles. Don't want to go to the store. I do have lots of spaghetti noodles . . .  So I boiled up a handful about as big around as a small apple and added those to the big pot. I turned it off and let the noodles soak up some of the juices and viola . . .


I know, I know, it looks, well . . . um . . . I'm sure you can add your own descriptor here. I almost didn't take a picture. And to be fair, this was a morning after photo. Even though it looked pretty much like this last night. But it was really good!

Remember what I said about cooking for five? These are the leftovers. I'm still cooking for five. But I only have to cook for five 2-3 times per week! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment