Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Best Toy For Retrievers


Period. The end.

Just kidding! My dog, True loves toys. She knows the names of all of them and treasures each one individually.


True snuggling with Panda and Pinkie

I used to think she'd be a frisbee dog. True will go after frisbees and is crazy for the air-time, but Frizz almost didn't make it. His cousins definitely didn't make it. 



The bit of blue plastic that used to be Frizz no longer flies as well as it did before True trimmed the edges up a bit. She seemed to realize that Frizz was on the verge of disappearing and broke the nibbling habit. If I give it a toss, she will still retrieve it.

But the Chuck-it!, now that's the toy for a retriever! True will literally retrieve tennis balls ALL DAY without stopping unless it's hot out. Then she might lay in the shade for a minute or two before bringing the ball back.

These are the reasons I (and True) like Chuck-It!:

1. If you buy the green one, regular tennis balls can fit in it and you don't have to buy the Chuck-It! balls. This can save some money if you don't  have good aim and your throws end up in the bushes or on roofs or over fences.
2. It really saves my arm. This dog could wear through a rotator cuff in nothing flat.
3. It's a kid magnet. If kids are around, they'll beg to throw for your dog. But, again, they sometimes throw wonky so you may want to bring extra balls. I've started giving kids one chance only. If they blow it and throw over a fence or in the bushes, their turn is over. 
4. It throws FAR! Much further than my puny arm can do.
5. I don't have to touch nasty, dog-slobbered tennis balls. I just push the receiver end over the ball that's on the ground and it clicks into place.
6. I can load the Chuck-It! without bending.
7. If I release the ball so it goes high into the air, it'll bounce pretty tall and True can get air-time jumping after it (solving the frisbee dilemma).

I so recommend the Chuck-It! for all those OCD Retrievers out there. And for their owners. And for their owners' arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment