Thursday, February 21, 2013

Ye Olde Hot Water Bottle


Remember these? I love them! Not so much for in town, though I do use them here, but when we're up in the hills. On our off-grid mountain property these suckers are gold.

You know, we went the rice bag route - and the kiln-dried corn bag route, but they only seem to hold heat for about two hours. And a microwave is required. There's no microwave on the mountain. But there is fire. And where there's fire, hot water can be had.

I finally broke down and bought one (because one is all there was on the shelf at Walgreens due to their popularity) to warm my toes at night when we're up in the hills. It gets pretty nippy up there after the sun goes down - even in the summer. Since wool holds heat, I decided to make a wool cover for it out of a thrifted jacket. It's aaahhhhh-mazing! After heating my tootsies all night, it even had a little warmth in the morning.

So I bought two more. One stays in the hills, two stay with us no matter where we go. Hubby has gotten so he uses one almost nightly. I know. We're old. We're so old we even travelled with them when we went to Arizona this last December. But they're just so cozy!

I used some wool yarn to crochet a bag-type cover for hubby's HWB. It's chunkier than the other covers and seems to hold the heat better.

So you can keep your piddling rice bags. We're heatin' it old school!

2 comments:

  1. I had a hot water bottle and loved it. It died one night, in the middle of the night, in the middle of my bed. Woke up thinking I had peed the bed but nope, it was the water bottle. I then made a rice sock which I loved. So did Aunt Pat after her heart surgery. So now my cold toes get shoved under Dan's warm legs.....poor guy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOooh - maybe I shouldn't've used the word piddling! I didn't think of water bottle failures. Dan works - I bet he'd even work in the mountains - without a microwave!

    ReplyDelete