Monday, February 25, 2013

Fried Tatties and Eggs

Lazy morning fried tatties and eggs. Yum. But, while digging into my potato bin, I noticed several of my potatoes eyeing up. Not a problem!

I took out several that were way into the eyeing process and cut off the growing bits like this:


and fried up the ungrowing parts that were left. MMMmmmm good.

I let these four cut-offs sit for 24 hours. It's called chitting. You let them sit in the air until the cut part is dry and gray like this:


so they don't rot in the ground. Then I poke them in the dirt like this:


and cover 'em up like this:


and at the end of this next summer, they'll have given me 5-10 more potatoes from each chitted piece. And late next winter, I'll make fried tatties and eggs. And cut off the growing bits. And the process will start all over.

No comments:

Post a Comment