Sunday, February 17, 2013

Fried 'Puter

The other day I spilled an entire large cup of heavily creamed and sugared coffee into my laptop. It was on. It was charging. And then it wasn't. I immediately turned it upside-down and sopped up all the coffee I could get at, but I fear my little MacBook will never be the same even if it does miraculously show life in the future.

I must say that it's terribly short-sighted of Apple not to design a drain hole into the bottom of their laptops. Especially since they're shaped like tiny bathtubs and can hold surprisingly large amounts of liquid. Or maybe they're forward-thinking . . . ? Hmmm. That's all I have to say about that.

So, while I was computerless and entirely informationless, I was unable to find out a BUNCH of stuff! Whatever happened with Christopher Dorner? WHY can't dogs have chocolate? Why didn't I write down my recipe for baked beans? I couldn't creep on my grandkids' photos on Facebook. It was horrible.

I went to Simply MacIntosh in Arcata because I like Macs and Apple is an American company. Even though much of the work is outsourced to China, my husband kiddingly assured me it's the 11- to 13-year-old girls and not the 8-year-olds who do most of the computer stuff. Good. That's a load off my mind. I really try to buy American and stay away from Chinese stuff. But it's getting HARD!

I am typing on my new MacBook Pro right now. It's gray and black and sleek and sexy. The keyboard lights up. Since I got the brain of my old one implanted into the new one, it looks and acts just right. Did anyone see that old 80's movie Cherry 2000? Once you break something you love, it's so worth it to purchase its exact replica. Or something like that.

2 comments:

  1. Computers will be the death of us. I have all of my recipes that I use regularly on my computer. If it goes, poor Dan is going to be eating some funky food until I can figure it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're definitely taking over the world - one recipe at a time.

    ReplyDelete