Monday, February 11, 2013

Tasting the Grape

When I imagined going wine tasting, I thought I'd be going to a stone chateau with oaken beams and given a tour. Then I'd be led down to a dank cellar with dusty bottles and casks and vats and given sips of wine in crystal glasses that were filled by a fancy glass turkey baster from the bung of an oak barrel. And NOBODY around me would swallow. So I'd have to spit my wine into one of the lovely receptacles that had been serving that purpose for generations. Then I'd have to murmur inane stuff about the "notes" to the expectant winemaker (who somehow cared what I with my untutored tongue thought about it!).

Well, nothing could be further from the truth. We went to Hopland, California to visit #1 Son and had a fun, relaxing afternoon at four different winery tasting rooms. Yes, some wineries have storefront tasting rooms in town! You don't have to drive out to the chateau!

At the McNab Ridge tasting room, I met Patty and Denise.  It was like hanging out with your favorite next-door-neighbors, in their living room, on their couch, chatting and sipping wines.



At Cesar Toxqui Cellars tasting room, I met Cesar, the actual winemaker. It was so easy to see his love of family and the process of winemaking. We talked about family, and (of course!) wine, and he shared a bottle he'd named for his little daughter. It was so yummy I had to have it.


Then we crossed the street to the McFadden Winery tasting room. I got to meet Dennis McFadden briefly. He seemed a nice man, but I was impressed by John. John spoke of vines and grapes and weather and how their dance helped create all these different wines. It was like listening to someone recite poetry. AND I learned that the 2011 Riesling was created by the cold, wet spring of 2011. It was a problem for vinyards as well as plain ol' veggie gardens like mine. I had to replant green beans twice after the seed rotted in the ground. But, just as my green beans finally came through, so did the grapes - thank goodness! That Riesling is so sweet I fell in love.




My last stop was Wiebel's tasting room. It was easy to see that Margaret enjoys her job. She and #1 Son talked about the business end of their respective businesses and I half-listened to them while I enjoyed some luscious flavored champagnes.

These folks aren't pretentious at all!



I had a great time. No one seemed to care that I make faces at dry wines and go for the high sugar ones. No one expected me to say anything about their wine unless it was whether or not I liked it. I appreciate #1 Son for introducing me to wine tasting and I appreciate Hubby, the self-appointed sober driver.

I'd definitely recommend taking a couple of friends to grape country in the middle of the week in the off-season and hanging out with these winers. It makes for a really good day.


1 comment:

  1. I do hang out with a lot of winers... maybe I'll try it your way for some more fun. :)

    ReplyDelete