Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Best Ground Cover

Irish Moss. It's amazing. About 20 years ago we decided to put flagstone around our patio. I bought a little flat of Irish Moss to plant in all those little spaces between the stones. The yard has gone through several incarnations since then, but the moss is still going strong. And it's spread. I find bits of it in the funniest places. All over. So I started gathering the bits and put them in two of my garden beds. And then I used the bits in my greenhouse.


I think it likes it in there.


As do the grape and Roma tomatoes (at least I think they're Romas, they're compost volunteers), the peppers, the baby avocado trees and the infant apple trees I planted from seeds (but the Meyer lemons haven't peeked out yet). With the greenhouse door open all the time, it stays a relatively stable 80 degrees.


Now I need to think up another project to use more Irish Moss. It's coming up again in amongst the onions and potatoes.

Don't mind the beer can. It's a slug trap.


Maybe I'll put it around the stones in the garden entrance. The oregano is taking too long to spread. If you have a small area where you'd like a low, hardy, pretty - it has tiny white flowers when it blooms - ground cover, I'd recommend Irish Moss. It gives a really good return on your investment.

There's another ground cover we use a lot. Of the two, I'd have to say Irish Moss is the best. It wears better in foot traffic areas, but I'll post about that another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment