Friday, May 10, 2013

The Happy End of a Colored Love Affair

Having grown up in rentals, I got used to walls painted apartment white. Used to it, but also heartily sick of it.

When Hubby and I moved into our little house, I figured, "It's ours, so I'm gonna go color crazy". And, boy howdy, did I! Each room was a different color of the rainbow. Over the years, the bathroom was Sea Green (complete with fishing net, glass floats, and shells), the living room was Desert Canyon (peach), the bedroom was Jersey Cream (bright yellow), and the kitchen . . . oh, the kitchen. Remember in the '80s when the Gingham Goose was popular? Well, I stenciled a veritable shooting gallery of geese all around the top of the kitchen walls - on purpose. Which was bad enough, but it took three coats of the next paint color when it came time to cover it up.

One of the bad things about color for us is the mountain o' paint cans in the shed with dribs and drabs of this and that color. Or not having a drib or drab to do a touch-up. Another is trying to match discontinued paint colors.

So this time, when we had to cover that oh-so-trendy paint color known as Brown Paper Bag, I came to a shocking realization. White is good. White is awesome.

The best painting tips I have to give are these:  remove all switch plate covers, heat register covers, closet doors, wood molding that you can before you even start. And always use semi-gloss paint for interiors. I don't care who says what. You can wash semi-gloss. Flat - not so much. Then wash the walls - or, at the very least, the walls around the kitchen stove. There. Those are my tips.






Rolling is much faster and easier than brushing, so you want to eliminate any rolling barriers that you can! Plus, if you remove them, you won't get this:



So now, after several 6-to-8-hour days of painting, the whole interior of our house is sporting at least two coats of 186A310 Ultra White. And it looks so clean and pretty. As does the butt of my painting buddy. :(


Time for a touch-up.



No comments:

Post a Comment