Friday, June 14, 2013

Yard Sale Footstool Redo

I've been without wheels these last few days because Hubby is away with the truck. I'm in easy walking distance to a little corner market and I have everything I could possibly need anyway, so I'm enjoying the quiet time. We had such beautiful weather over the weekend I decided to take a peek at Craigslist Yard Sales to see if there were any close by. By happy coincidence there were! My trusty True and I walked to one of the sales in the neighborhood and guess what?! I finally found it! (Not the sale, silly, the thing I've been looking for.)

I've been looking for a small simple footstool to prop my feet on in the evenings. I didn't want a big ottoman or anything that'd take up too much space, but this little guy was just right! And at $2.00 I couldn't walk away without it.


Just right except for the ugly factor.

So I decided to fix it. Make it pretty. Replace the grubby blue crushed velvet with something . . . more.

So I took it apart.

Eek! That's MY mannish, garden ravaged hand? 



Just undid the four corner screws that were holding the top to the stool and pried off aaaalllllll the staples that were holding the different layers of coverings on it. When I got down to the cushion, I was pleased to see it was still in pretty good shape. All I need is a new cover.

I decided to crochet one from a pattern called Retro Circles by Adele at threebeansinapodcrochet.blogspot.com.au .  Just love this variation on ye olde Granny Square!


The Retro Circles were joined using the Simulated Braid Join pattern by Carolyn at Gourmet Crochet. You can see it here: Simulated braid join.


Then I whipstitched the new crocheted piece directly onto the new muslin I'd already stapled on and re-screwed the top piece to the footstool.


And here's my new li'l footstool!




Isn't it cute? Now it matches all the blocky wooden things and funky homemade things I have in my house. And it's just the right height to rest my tootsies on. For $2.00 (and a nice afternoon walk), plus another few bucks for the fabric- and yarn-stash stuff, I think it's a pretty good deal!


2 comments:

  1. Woah!
    You put a whole lotta work into that project. I couldn't put my feet on something I spent that much time crafting. It is beautiful though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am staying with your Niece from the East & showed her this foot stool. She loves it & wanted to comment on how super cool it looks.

    ReplyDelete