Monday, January 28, 2013

Thank You Pinterest!

I have this great daughter-in-law who turned me on to Pinterest. In fact, she showed it to me on her machine, invited me, helped me set it up on my machine, (have I mentioned before that I'm a little slow very weak in the technical department?) and showed me how to use it.

So I check in from time to time and get a lot of really good ideas. Like this one from kailochic.blogspot.com:

YOU CAN GROW VEGGIES FROM THE USED-UP STUFF YOU BOUGHT AT THE STORE! A TWOFER!

You can cut the root off the end of onions (green or dry)  and celery and just stick them in the dirt and this is what you get:


Free onions! All at different levels of readiness because they were planted whenever I chopped a root end off a storebought onion.


Free celery! Excuse the winter messiness. You can see the two little baby celeries in the lower left corner that I put out last month. I just go out and cut a few stalks at a time whenever I need them. Then, if I start to use more than I grow, I buy another bunch from the store, cut off the root end, and poke it in the soil.


Free avocado seedlings! Wait . . . free avocado seedlings? I'm actually a little bummed about this. Here I am, babying along two avocado pits in wineglasses in my windowsill, lose one to mold, check the other every single day, worry over it, and my husband finds this hardy little burgeoning avocado seedling when he pulls the spent grape tomato vines from the greenhouse. Ah well, the power of a couple shovelsfull of compost. Actually, I got a volunteer winter squash vine out of this bed as well.

I've also got some sweet potato slips rooting and some regular potatoes eyeing up.

So, while I knew about replanting things like potatoes and sweet potatoes and the seeds of anything bought from the grocery store (dry beans included), I did not know about replanting the roots of celery and onions. How did I miss that?

Thank you, daughter-in-law! Thank you Pinterest! And a shoutout to kailochic.blogspot.com.


No comments:

Post a Comment