Saturday, January 12, 2013

Introduction

Around this time of year I really start to miss my mother. She died when I was thirty, and now, seventeen years later, I am the same age she was when she passed. Just one of the really messed up parts of that whole situation is this:  at age thirty I was just about wise enough to ask for (and be able to hear) some advice from her.

Mom was always very careful only to give advice when asked. Which I almost never did. Because I was living my life and knew everything I needed to know, right? And now that my chicks have left the nest I try (really, I DO try!)  not to give unsolicited advice. But sometimes it just jumps right outta my firmly closed lips. And is received, well, not so well.

So, I've decided to put some things I've learned out into the universe. Or at least into the blogosphere. I'm not sure who'll read this - if anyone - but hopefully someone will be able to take away a little piece that'll somehow make their life easier or better.

My first piece of advice? Ask your mama. Seriously. Whatever it is, she's probably been there and done that 20+ years ago. While walking uphill. Both ways. In the snow.

3 comments:

  1. I still ask myself at times, What would Mom do? She was such a sweet person and so willing to help. Unfortunately, I usually find myself doing the exact opposite of WWMD because she was such a sweet person, everyone walked all over her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you. I often wondered it she cared that others took advantage. Or if she just did what she did because she thought it was right and let others do what they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No. Your mothers kindness and acts of love were not in vain. She taught me what kindness is. She is my role model. I have a quilt she made when my last child was born. I have it out on a table for all to see. When I look at it I'm reminded of her goodness and want to shine like she did.

    ReplyDelete