Sunday, January 27, 2013

Free Seeds

I've been on this free seed thing lately. Not free seed packets gotten from a friend, charity, or kindly company, but seeds/pits from things we eat.

In my fridge, I have 36 apple seeds and some hazelnuts and walnuts stratifying (as well as my Jelly Belly jar full of seed packets for this coming season).


On the kitchen windowsill is the survivor of my two avocado seeds. The other molded and left the property last garbage day.


I've also got envelopes of seeds saved from pomegranate (can't get enough of those and oldest boy has a bush/tree at his house. So jealous!) , Hubbard and acorn squash, and peach and cherry pits.

Now, I know that the apples are not going to grow "true" to the mother tree. I may get bitter, tiny, stunted apples if I get any at all. Same with the nuts. But, since I have a bit of land to poke the seeds into, why not try, right? If they're horrible or don't grow, all I've lost is a bit of effort and a little space in the fridge for a time.

We'll see, OK? If I have amazing success with any of these I'll post about it. If not, well, I'm not gonna brag about my failures, am I?



No comments:

Post a Comment