Saturday, June 15, 2013

Murder of Crows

We do a lot of (ok, some) stuff around our house in town to foster the presence of Little Brown Birds. We have a couple of bird baths, bird houses, I hang short yarn ends on the shrubbery in the spring for nesting materials, and I know for certain they help the chickens eat their food. We don't put out feeders any more just because of the cats in the neighborhood, but we did for a while.

I don't know all the types of Little Brown Birds in my yard, but my Mother-in-Law tells me most of them are Juncos. I especially enjoy one particular bird house on top of the swing. Every year we get at least one bunch of bird babies out of it and I can see it from my bedroom window. I love waking up to their song, and I sit on the edge of the bed and watch them for a few minutes before beginning my day. It's such a gentle way to start the morning - especially after years and years of waking to an alarm clock at O-dark-thirty!

This is my favorite birdhouse.


And here are this years' occupants patiently waiting for me to move away from their home. Such a shy young couple!


Yesterday afternoon I heard the familiar raucous cawing of several crows in the yard. Noooooo! I ran out and looked and three or four crows are flying around the top of a redwood tree. They're being dive-bombed by a couple of mostly ineffectual Little Brown Birds, but the crows won out. While I was frantically trying to get at the pellet gun, they proceeded to kill and eat the contents of that nest. Not sure if there were hatchlings or just eggs in there. They were just about done by the time I located the tin of pellets and gone when I finally had the pellet gun loaded and ready to put some sting in their butts. Murder of crows, indeed. They probably flew right back over to the nearest fast food restaurant and ate stale french fries out of the dumpster for dessert. Or some flattened, dried out road kill lying in the street. Nasty birds.

I've heard that crows are smart and that they can remember an angry face for years. I hope they remember this angry face and make our yard a no-fly zone. But I'm ready now and the loaded pellet gun is leaning by the door.

It was a little quiet this morning. Luckily, the crows stopped at that one nest. They didn't get at the eggs in my favorite birdhouse. Maybe I'll hear them sing tomorrow.


2 comments:

  1. Well that sux!
    I know every living thing has to eat but I've stopped watching nature shows on tv because I don't feel a need to witness the event.
    I was just having a conversation this morning about the birds in my yard and decided if I could be any bird I'd be a hummingbird. They're too small to bother with eating for as fast as one would have to work to catch them.
    We live next to a major migratory stop and see all sorts of birds passing through as they go north & south but we have quite a few permanent residents too. We feed the small ones in a wired ball feeder so the big ones (ie; pigeons) are discouraged. We have mostly wrens, juncos, sparrows & canaries but occasionally some I don't recognize. We have a pair of mourning doves who scratch around under the feeder (they have been trying to run off last years baby for awhile but I think he has other plans)
    Robins like our yard for the bugs & the blue jays keep a lookout for anything we drop or walk away from.
    Our rose hedge provides cover from the hawks. Recently we put up a second hummingbird feeder because the population seems to have doubled. It's a pretty lively place. It's my own nature show & I have no problem interfering. I don't have a pellet gun but I'll run Okuwa out there if it looks like troubles brewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. With all the flowers in your yard, I'd bet you'd have LOTS of feathered friends! Glad you have Okuwa as your bouncer. I miss Schotze. She was very protective of her space - and very aware of her air space. Everyone had to tow the line, wild animals or not. Even kite-flyers had to beware!

    ReplyDelete