Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Darned Socks and Mended Jeans

I once asked my nephew why fishing with live bait was outlawed around here. He said, "Because it works".

The worst part of getting old is that you find something that works for you, is of good quality, the price is fair, etc., and just when your "thing" needs replacing, it is out of stock or discontinued. It's happened to me several times in the past few years, and lemme tell you, nothing is more frustrating! OK, well, maybe those automatic butt-sensing, auto-flushing toilets that don't flush are more frustrating. Or that leak in the roof that you can't tell where it's coming from. Or trying to get a real person at the Customer Service number at AT&T.

One of my two *things*, my special *things* that are no longer available are my black Wilson ankle socks. I've decided black socks and flesh-colored underwear are the way to go. It's just easier. TMI, sorry. The Wilson socks are great. They're thick, they're tight enough that they don't disappear down into my shoe, but not so tight they're uncomfortable, they're made of cotton, they last for years. The only down side is that the bend from heel to ankle on the side of the sock seems to separate after a couple of years.

I'd considered darning, but my only darning experience is hearing Hubby's stories of his Nana mending his socks. From the tone of the stories, I don't think it went great. He says he appreciates the love and time that went into them, but wouldn't voluntarily wear the socks after Nana went back home.

I looked up "darning socks" on Pinterest and came up with a tutorial by Brenna at Sock Dreams. Love it! So easy to follow and so easy to do. Not the big ordeal I had imagined. I got an old hard baseball (don't have a darning egg) and my black cotton sockish-weight yarn and big-eyed needle and commenced weaving over the holes in my socks. It's been four months now and they're still wearing strong. Thanks, Brenna!



The other *thing* is my jeans. I have a hard time finding jeans that fit well and feel right. I found a brand that I loved and ordered four pair several years ago. Now that my jeans have some issues, I can't find that brand anywhere! I have some "jiggly bits" and, let's just say, some of my bits jiggle more than they should. So, the thighs of my jeans get more mileage than the rest of the garment. It's been my habit to wear my jeans until the thighs are threadbare (or holey!) and then go out and get some more. Well, now I can't. I thought about patching, but I've tried it before and didn't like the rough spots it created - especially when they rubbed on my tender inner thigh! I remembered my darned sock success and Pinterested "mending jeans". Waddya know, but Suzannah at adventuresindressmaking.com has a great tutorial using nothing more than iron-on interfacing and back-and-forthing with her sewing machine.

The ironed-on interfacing inside of the jeans

After machine sewing back & forth to the tune of half a spool of thread

I'm now the owner of five perfectly serviceable pair of jeans! Yesssss! What would I do without my little MacBook Pro and Pinterest and Brenna and Suzannah with their amazingly simple, down-to-earth tutorials? I'd probably be, "Naked and bleeding in Kathmandu!", right, Eddie Murphy? Or, just afraid to leave the house because I have nothing to wear. Thanks, ladies!



No comments:

Post a Comment